Fear and loathing in the waiting room.

Deciding what to do with my space was the hardest part of the whole process, unlike most of the other rooms and their inhabitants, I didn’t have a game plan as such, which I think came from my initial dislike of the room. I had written down ten impressions I had of the room from the first day, clearly expressing what I felt whenever I was left alone in that room –

• Isolated
  • I hate waiting
  • Sat in silence
  • Let your standards go…
  • Random rage
  • Mindless banality
  • Separated from the rest
  • The room where nothing happens…
  • This room is not interesting!
  • The only truthful room.

The only observation I took that day was the last point – the waiting room is the only truthful room. It is the only room in the house that is not a façade  Knowing this, I felt like I could only use the room for its intended purpose, it brought out the most inspiration in me. It would have to be something that felt corporate; it couldn’t feel like part of the home, due to how it was furnished – “An austere office room with its functional furniture does not have a homelike effect and is not intended to do so, because it is intended to put one in the mood for concentrated work. The furniture must fill the space in such a way that the impression is neither of emptiness nor of overcrowding” ((Bollnow, Otto (2011), Human Space, Hyphen Press, P.144))

I was given the idea that I could perform under the pretence of an estate agent – my room to be the office where I give the audience background information of the property, and the rest of their experience in the house would be a ‘tour’ of the house. This idea resonated with me instantly, it gave me new inspiration, like the room I despised finally made sense, and I started to become excited to work on it, rather that loathing it. Now that I was working with the rooms aesthetics rather than against it, gave me more ideas on how it could be used, and how it would be perceived by the audience, I wrote a rough script on how exactly the estate agent idea could possibly work, starting with the audience knocking on the front door, I answer it, and it proceeds from there. I had a few ideas about how I could change up the furniture in the room, so it could be perceived as both corporate, but also welcoming at the same time:

67353_10151484740867173_1700504688_n

To make the room seem less bare and therefore more personable, I thought ‘inspirational’ posters in bright eye-catching colours would be a fitting substitute. On the other hand, if the poster concept did not work, I thought possibly a large mirror, or several small mirrors would add an interesting aspect to the space as it makes a room seem larger or “a kind of alternative window, not only to the outside world but on the interior”. ((Heathcoate, Edwin, (2012), the Meaning of Home, London: Frances Lincoln Ltd, P.135.))

My role would be the initiator – the person who introduces the audience to the whole performance, I would in theory be setting up what is to come, the ‘inspirational’ posters would have hints as to what the other rooms performances would be, for example – for the kitchen, the poster’s artwork was of a steaming cup of tea accompanied by rabbit ears – these aspects were not so subtle, yet from an audiences point of view would be completely unexplainable until they saw the kitchen performance.

After my ten minutes of performing, I would lead the audience out, and subject to further decisions, I would guide them either upstairs to Louise, or into the living room/cupboard room.